Saturday, March 9, 2013

Seen a Crocus Yet

Seen a Crocus yet

It is beginning to look like spring. I had withdrawal symptoms for veggies last weekend. I found an  H-Mart in Edison NJ. Apparently it is a chain of Korean grocery stores. This store was very modern and large. The produce department had all types of fruits and vegetables. I bought snow pea pods, sugar snap peas, Japanese eggplant, baby bok choy,persimmons, frozen dumplings and Vietnamese clear spring roll wraps. Everything was very reasonably priced and good quality.

H-Mart is down the road from one of the 2 NY Costcos that have wine. Of course I made my Costco wine stop. I found several interesting wines.

2010 Château Petit-Freylon Cuvée Sarah $7.99 - This is a good wine with nice fruit and structure. A really good bargain. Costco is great for cheap Bordeaux wines from good vintages. They sell out very fast.
Pio Cesare 2007 Barolo $54 - I had this in Barolo and it was great.
Monsanto Chianti Classico Reserva 2008 $15.99 This is a very good wine that I have had in other vintages.
Chateau Vilars 2010 Bordeaux $18.99 - Have not tried yet.

Friends came over for dinner the other night. I made slices of Italian bread with bufala mozzeralla. Costco sell the buffalo mozz very cheaply. The cheese comes from Italy and is made with buffalo milk. It is creamy and is packed in water. A pound plus package is $12, a real bargain.
I put  fresh tomato slices with salt, olive oil and vinegar over the cheese.

I then made the frozen Chinese pork and leek dumplings. I make the sauce of sherry, soy sauce and chopped ginger. I then made sauteed veggies of onions, snow peas, sugar snap peas and bok choy. I made fried rice with white rice, sauteed onions and mushrooms, soy sauce and an egg white. I seared some fresh tuna. I took a rice bowl and put in rice, then veggies and sliced tuna.

Also made 5 -flavor shrimp. Cooked shrimp in the shell but minus legs and vein and fried in oil quickly. Then drained and re cooked with salt, pepper and 5 flavor spice sprinkled on to lightly coat the shells. Chinese 5  flavor spice is a favorite and it is a combination of cinnamon, star anise, fennel, ginger, cloves, white pepper and licorice root. Gee, that is more than 5. This is the spice that gives Chinese ribs their distinct flavor.

I made citrus sorbet with orange juice, lemon and grapefruit juice. All fresh and I used meyer lemons, which I found in Costco. Meyer lemons are very juicy and have great flavor.

We drank Justin Justification 2003 -- a blend of cabernet franc and merlot and a 2007 Rosenblum Cellars Zinfandel Reserve Lyons Vineyard, Rust Ridge Vineyard Napa Valley The Justin was balanced  and complex and good. The Zin was great. It was 15.9% alcohol, OMG, but it was smooth with lots of fruit but not grapey. I am not a Zin lover but this wine rocked.

We also tried to drink a Sauterne, Chateau Filhot 2001. I opened 1 bottle and it was moldy and not good so I opened a second bottle and it too was moldy and corked. Oh well. Sauternes are nice dessert wines but I rarely drink them.

Recent Wines

2006 Nicolas Potel Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Hauts-Doix OK Burgundy but I make excuses for them. A Pinot Noir needing more fruit. Subtle.
2010 Viña Leyda Pinot Noir Las Brisas Really good Chile Pinot Noir. Earthy. I paid $13 but the price has gone up to $17.
2008 Aldo e Riccardo Seghesio Barolo $25 This is a very complex wine with flavors that are beautifully integrated, more than most wines. There is tannin, structure and fruit but one only notices a total taste of a very good wine. The wine is probably very young( I have not had many 08 Barolos) so I look forward to seeing how this wine develops. Will drink more.
NV Champagne Lallier Champagne Brut Grand Cru - A good Champagne that  I bought on WTSO for $28
2000 Château de Reignac - Drinking great from my cellar. $10.

2010 Andrew Rich Pinot Noir Prelude - Oregon Pinot Noir that did not impress this time. I tried in Oregon and liked it better. Very light.
2008 Chalone Vineyard Chardonnay Estate Grown - One of my favs.
2010 Chateau Du Retout - A high % of cabernet sauvignon, this 2010 Bordeaux was good but not as good as the 09. It may take  - It may take   time to develop. $18.
Pascal Jolivet Sancerre 2011 $16 - I like Pascal Jolivet wines. They appear to be widely distributed. This an austere Sancerre with decent fruit. A more traditional Sancerre than recent vintages.

I have a few interesting trips coming up and we are headed to Kauai in May.

Enjoy.








 

   


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment